Wednesday 26 November 2014

Reflection!

In all honesty, I thought coming to Memorial University English class would be my downfall, turns out I actually enjoyed classes. In high school, my English teacher never gave us many tips and he never gave us many things to do when it comes to writing, therefore it was hard to improve and I wasn't very good at writing. Coming to English 1080 I have learned how to write a proper thesis for my paper and how to word things better. My writing skills have improved greatly, just doing these blogs have helped me become a better writer. Also, I would have to say classes were interesting, the poems or short fiction always had something behind it that I couldn't figure out myself, I learned that there are many different ways to look at things.

The story from the short fiction part of the course that I liked the most would have to be "Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway. The reason why I liked this one the best is because I would of never thought that the meaning behind the story is actually a woman who is pregnant. When I look at stories, I take the literal meaning, I find it hard to see what's behind the whole thing. When I look back at the poem's we discussed in class the one that sticks is "The Tyger" by William Blake, so I would definitely keep those two pieces of literature in the course! The essay writing throughout the course has been interesting. Again, relating back to high school I hated writing essays, even though we never done many. But in English 1080 I liked what I was writing about, so it was easier to write and I didn't mind doing it. I also like how you would write comments or suggest what could go there to make it better, so I could improve. As of the blogging part of the course, I have to be honest I was dreading it, but it turns out I think it's a great idea. You get to practice writing skills, read what classmates has wrote about and even though some of the posts we had to do could be difficult there was always a way around it, making it fun. The only other comment I would like to make is I loved how you never pointed people out, I am terrified when speaking in front of a group of people, so I would like to say thanks for that. Even though I'm sure sometimes when class was extremely quiet you wanted too. With this being said, English 1080 has been an awesome class to be involved in for my first semester of University!


No comments:

Post a Comment